Author Topic: Chicago Terminal Acquires More UP & CP Lines  (Read 10206 times)

TBurke

• View Profile
Chicago Terminal Acquires More UP & CP Lines
« on: March 19, 2007, 09:13:56 AM »
A new posting on the Surface Transportation Board (www.stb.dot.gov) website shows that the Chicago Terminal Railroad acquired the Elk Grove Village, IL, industrial park trackage of both the UP and CP Rail.  Detailed maps accompany the filing.

From my own limited exploration of this area, quite a few of the tracks are out-of-service and weed covered.  Hopefully they can recruit new business back to rail from truck.

chuck

• View Profile
    • http://www.chuckjanda.com
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 09:42:04 AM »
Is this trackage besides the Central Illinois trackage?

-=Chuck=-
Mail: chuckjanda@hotmail.com
Home: http://www.chucksphotospot.com
Chuck
Mail: chuckjanda(at)gmail.com
Home: http://www.chuckjanda.com

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:59:36 AM »
Could you give us a direct link to the new posting?  I have NEVER been able to find anything on that stb site.  Also, do you know how they will get their from their current yard?

-Matt

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 11:25:31 AM »
Hi,

Sorry, one more question.  Could anyone give a link to googlemaps or a terraserver so that I could get a better idea as to where these lines are?

Thanks again,

-Matt

chuck

• View Profile
    • http://www.chuckjanda.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:00:35 PM »
The search doesn\'t work to well.  A direct link would be way to long.  Go to this page http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ByFilingDate?OpenView and scroll around.  According to the maps it appears to be the current Central Illinois trackage.  This industrial area is basically on the east and west side of Route 83 in Elk Grove Village.

-=Chuck=-
Mail: chuckjanda@hotmail.com
Home: http://www.chucksphotospot.com
Chuck
Mail: chuckjanda(at)gmail.com
Home: http://www.chuckjanda.com

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 12:01:55 PM »
If you go to google and type in google desktop it will download the latest version of google earth

GM
GM

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 12:09:05 PM »
A good Pickup would be the old CNW line that paralleled the Milwaukee Road North Line where the Kennedy and Edens split off of Cicero Ave. There use to be two lines that went north past Devon toward Skokie. One for the coal train that served Wisconsin Electric and the other that served customers all the way up to Skokie. The Rails are still there and the customers (industrial parks). Seems like a good fit with possibilities.

GM
GM

Cway

• View Profile
    • http://railserve.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 03:22:25 PM »
GM,

Are you referring to the Mayfair Line that went up to Skokie Industrial Park? This would be something that could attract more shippers in the area...I went through there sometime ago and a lot has changed...

Cway

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 05:49:08 PM »
Yes, that\'s the one. The track is still in place for the one line that went over Peterson Ave., Across Devon Ave., Lincoln Ave., all the way into Skokie. From Google you can see the rails plus remnants of rail that were pulled but are given away by the building design. Some of the factories still look large enough to be served by Rail better than by truck. Mayfair Lumber still gets shipments. Not sure about anyone else further up the line.

GM
GM

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 06:09:31 PM »
If this is the trackage that comes off York Rd which seves the area you are talking about this is quite a large area and even has a small yard area. Still sees plenty of service. I use to work in the area in the early 80\'s and remember CNW geeps moving throughout the area dropping off cars late at night even. I think this will keep them quite busy and would require an engine stationed out of the CP Bensenville Yard or kept in the small yard off of York Road. You can see it on Google Earth Follow the Bensenville Yard out along York Rd. THere are two entry areas one off the CP the other further up by the curve from UP. A lot of track still there and a lot of industry spurs to service.
Seems like the big railroads are getting away from this type of industry service. A niche that short lines can fill.
quote:
Originally posted by TBurke

A new posting on the Surface Transportation Board (www.stb.dot.gov) website shows that the Chicago Terminal Railroad acquired the Elk Grove Village, IL, industrial park trackage of both the UP and CP Rail.  Detailed maps accompany the filing.

From my own limited exploration of this area, quite a few of the tracks are out-of-service and weed covered.  Hopefully they can recruit new business back to rail from truck.

GM
GM

SlowFreight

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 05:13:11 PM »
Looks like Permian Basin started with the Chicago Terminal just to get a toehold in the market.  Most likely, they were negotiating for this purchase before CTRR started running on Goose Island.  And yes, these are the properties now switched by Central Illinois--I guess they decided it wasn\'t worth the investment.

Don\'t look for Chicago Terminal to connect the downtown and Elk Grove operations unless UP quits North Avenue Yard entirely--not an impossibility, but dependent on how much they value the Tribune traffic. I guess DOT Rail Services probably has limited trackage rights to reach the CP lead from Elk Grove Yard (the small one west of York Rd.), since they usually had two ex-IC switchers in the yard there.

I think UP also still bases one wayfreight out of Elk Grove Yard, to serve the New Line and Harvard Sub freight customers--which aren\'t very many.  I couldn\'t tell if UP had also retained some of the Centex site customers or not, but I don\'t think so.  It did appear that DOT Rail Services wasn\'t real ambitious about recruiting new business.  The yard always looked fairly empty, and they seemed to serve fewer customers than UP did 10 years ago--but this is conjecture on my part.

Long-term, I think it\'s likely UP will give up more of the local switching rights to Chicago Terminal, radiating either from North Ave or Elk Grove.  There\'s a few more spurs off the New Line as you head up to Des Plaines--some active, some not.

IMO, the old Weber Spur up to Skokie is probably finished in that most of the recent (last 10 years) customers appear to be vacant and the last customer at the end quit receiving chlorine by rail a few months ago.  It\'s really hard to attract industrial customers in the older suburbs where real estate prices are high even for industrial properties.  I wish I knew better the businesses still left along the line, so I\'m a little bit guessing that there\'s not a lot of good freight potential here.  It would, though, be nice to be proved wrong and see it resurrected, especially to connect with CTA in Skokie.  This was the route that all of the 2600-series L cars were delivered on--now everything is trucked on and off the CTA property.  IIRC, it takes 2 grade crossings and about a mile or so of track to make this connection--probably on the order of $150k to complete.  THIS is the biggest long-term potential customer now that CTA ships its mid-life rebuild work to Hornell NY, and is looking at another round of new car acquisitions.  The 3200 series delivered at a rate of two per day, five days a week for many months.

SlowFreight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 06:09:22 PM »
I stumbled across some more dockets in the STB site, and apparently, Central Illinois gained a reputation for absolutely abysmal service in Peoria over the ex-Rock Keller Branch.  No maintenance or brush removal, runaway trackmobile, refusal to spot cars, etc.  

Now there\'s a fun dispute where the city wants to abandon the line to build a trail, and the rail users are fighting to save it--lots of political mudslinging.

Anyway, to avoid getting off-topic, it would seem that DOT Rail Services has a history of being a less-than-quality rail operator and that Chicago Terminal will probably do very well with this new acquisition.

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 12:29:11 AM »
The present operations over at Elk Grove are booming....my good friend works with them.....and from what he told me....they just had a low work eithic...and some bad employees.....a new boss came in within the last 8 months and has totally turned things around.....there were HUGE plans to expand service out at Elk Grove in the comming months....but that wont be happening now....

As far as the Weber Line goes......before they do ANYTHING with that line.....the bridge over the N. Branch of the Chicago River just north of Foster Ave....would have to be rebuilt......I have always hung out in that park...and along the tracks in that area since I was a little one...and yeah.....that bridge does NOT look safe........I must admit though.....I\'d absolutely love to see a train go up the line up towards the Lincolnwood area one last time...........

P.S.  Does anyone know when or if there is still a job that serves Mayfair Lumber?  Its another local childhood place that I\'d love to get a picture with.....

-Ian

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 07:33:50 AM »
Guys-be sure to check out the Yahoo Group dedicated to the Weber and Mayfair C&NW/UP lines.  

Do a search in Yahoo Groups by \"cnw_weber_sksub\" to find it.  Lots of historic photos, maps, dialogue with other fans of the lines, etc.

I walked the Weber two years ago from Lincoln Avenue North to where it ends today by the former chemical plant, just west of McCormick.  It\'s well worth the time with lots of rail artifacts (hand-hewn ties on old spurs).  

There\'s a relatively new Lowes or Home Depot, I can\'t recall, near the end of the line that would have made a good candidate for inbound loads of lumber.  

So far UP has not posted an abandonment petition with the STB for the Weber line and it has been close to two years since the last train went down the line to the best of my knowledge-an STB requirement for abandonment.

UP wasted no time in filing a petition to abandon the Skokie Subdivision once Farley Candy pulled out, stranding Crafty Beaver at Oakton which received shipments of lumber.