Author Topic: New layout based on Brooklyn, NY and Milw's Chicago lines.  (Read 7715 times)

12bridge

• View Profile
New layout based on Brooklyn, NY and Milw's Chicago lines.
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »
Well, Ill admit, I am a diehard New Yorker first off.  I always wanted to, and still have plans for a layout based on NY Cross Harbor, NYC's last street running, and carfloating railroad.   Unfortunately apartment life has put those plans on hold.

Anyway, I designed this layout plan with elements using Chicago street trackage as well as some of my hometown customers in Brooklyn.   I hope to get down to Goose Island soon to photograph some of what I plan to incorporate. 

Its 9' long and 6' wide, with a 2' width.  All the street running will be using Proto87s girder rail and single point switches.  Other yard trackage will be using Central Valley Code 70 switches and track.

Customer A will be a generic newspaper plant.
Customer B is Vesuvio Foods.  This customer is based off of Peerless Confectionery, abit renamed for a NY customer.   The building will be exactly like Peerless, although I did add a switchback inside of it to add a little switching puzzle to it.
Customer C is Cropsey Metals, a scrap yard.  This customers siding will be built just like Midwest Zinc's.
Customer D is Brooklyn Block, which will be based off of Plibrico's siding. 
Customer E, MVP Warehousing, a generic warehousing customer with no real base.
Customer F is Franklin Polymers,  a plastic bag company.  This is a Brooklyn Based customer.  (You can see them switch this on Pentrex's street running).  Here is a photo of there siding:

Customer G, Atlantic Waste, a NY customer, ships garbage out in 60' boxcars.  A photo of the real siding:

To get to it is an interesting piece of track.  Its a right switch, to cross over into a left side building. This is a prototype siding that they built in NY, however it was never used since the contractor built it to sharp!

Customer H is Plywood Specialties, this building/siding will be built just like Big Bay Lumber. 

I is a team track, J is a small engine hut, and K is a short RIP track.

At some point I would like to add to the layout to the right, unfortunately if it ever gets to that point and I have the room, I might just build by Bush Terminal Cross Harbor layout..

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: New layout based on Brooklyn, NY and Milw's Chicago lines.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:21:58 PM »
Very cool.  I look forward to seeing photos of the work in progress.  I've always been a fan also of the NYCH and its various ancestors and descendants. 

What is the street address for Franklin Polymers?  I'd like to take a closer look via Google Earth and MS Bing.  Is it still rail-served? 

That spur into the Plywood Specialties facility is very unusual the way it drops down then crosses the running track to get the right curvature.  I have never seen that before.

12bridge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:09:47 PM »
Boy, I am slacking.  I forgot I posted here! Anyway, I had to make some changes to the layout, moving it to another side of the room and adding some things.  I will post an updated plan as soon as I finish it.

Franklin Polymers spur is on 47th Street just a few feet east of 2nd Ave.  It is no longer served, they get there cars in the yard when they do get them.  It was hard to get back there as they had to go through a junk yard.

The other spur is on 1st Ave and 54th Street. 

Benchwork starts this week!

Paul

mark_k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »
Well done, Paul. Looking forward to future posts. I live in New York as well, but I don't often get down to Sunset Park to check this stuff out.

SlowFreight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »
I guess no one is happy where he lives, eh? I've got my Chicago-based layout here in Brooklyn only 5 minutes away from NYNJ Rail  ::) If you need help with Big Bay, let me know. I have scads of photos of the real one and a model of it: