Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 32200 times)

Reinhard

• View Profile
    • My photos on Flickr
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »
I am the new kid on the block.

My name is Reinhard from Germany. We live in the Southwest close to the black forrest. Some of you may have noticed my activities in the Big Blue forum over the last years.
My layout is under constant change as i would love to built 100 layouts but have only space for one....

Chicago has a special affection to me. It was the US city of my very first US business trip as a young professional about 35 years ago and I returned many time. I am retired since two years but the first city is like the first love ;-) I have so many good memories .....

I could have visited all the railroad places easily but I had no interest in US railroading at that time. The lack of internet would have made it very complicated to get information.

Glad to be with you
Reinhard
Reinhard

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2017, 10:28:45 PM »
Glad to have you join us. 

One day I plan on modeling the Reichsbahn of the DDR (East Germany) era in N-scale.  On a visit to Eisenach in 2006 I picked up an N-scale RB diesel switcher.

Something like this setting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39092860@N06/21289896380/in/photolist-yFBAh3-yGXwbh-yHW2fa-yrkthj-xLUwBu-yrjgru-yrjhsY

I like the diversity of railroads in the former DDR from narrow gauge steam to solar-powered streetcar lines.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39092860@N06/21477933145/in/photolist-yFBAh3-yGXwbh-yHW2fa-yrkthj-xLUwBu-yrjgru-yrjhsY/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39092860@N06/21477936135/in/photolist-xYLFV3-yDd1T9-yDhGi4-yFBAh3-yHW2fa-yGXwbh-yHW38H-yrkthj-xLUwBu-xM3Lw6-yJG8FK-yJG8Ni-yrjgru-yrjhsY-yGXy45-yrkstf-yrkrKm-yHW41z-yGXyS9-yRdT14

Reinhard

• View Profile
    • My photos on Flickr
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2017, 12:51:22 PM »
I had a small H0m layout prior to my US layouts. There is still some steam and diesel stuff hidden in my cabinets. The steam models were mostly kits from Weinert and cost a fortune but I am not the right guy to get them perfect. The small radius possible with narrow gauge and the small engines and cars are a great advantage in limited space.
Reinhard

haggar

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2017, 01:26:54 AM »
Good to have you here Reinhard. Great modeling! I hope to build a CNW/MILW Chicago layout someday.
Joe

SteveN

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2018, 10:03:40 PM »
Hello,

My name is Steve and I live in Janesville, WI.  I always had an interest in history especially when it comes to manufacturing and transportation.  Naturally living in Janesville, my main railroad interests revolve around the Milwaukee Road and the C&NW. Sadly, I saw neither in operation, so sites like this are invaluable to me.  My other railroad related interests are car ferries of the Great Lakes and New York City, urban and branch lines and freight cars. 

I don't have a whole lot to offer to this forum, but I'm glad to be apart of it and I'm looking forward to learning more about the subject at hand.  Eventually I would like to apply this info and build a small HO scale proto-freelanced urban switching layout based on the Milwaukee Road.

Thanks

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »
Hello,

My name is Steve and I live in Janesville, WI.  I always had an interest in history especially when it comes to manufacturing and transportation.  Naturally living in Janesville, my main railroad interests revolve around the Milwaukee Road and the C&NW. Sadly, I saw neither in operation, so sites like this are invaluable to me.  My other railroad related interests are car ferries of the Great Lakes and New York City, urban and branch lines and freight cars. 

I don't have a whole lot to offer to this forum, but I'm glad to be apart of it and I'm looking forward to learning more about the subject at hand.  Eventually I would like to apply this info and build a small HO scale proto-freelanced urban switching layout based on the Milwaukee Road.

Thanks

Welcome to the site.

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »
The brewery pictures might be nice but we'd love to see the layout pictures more!

-Matt

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2021, 01:11:48 PM »
Hi,

I realize I may be the first new member to post here in some time. I have known about Chicago Switching for a while, along with several other resources out there. I grew up in Chicago in the 70s to mid 90s on the 1300 block of Melrose, about 1 block from the C&E / Lakewood branch crossing Melrose. I have vague early memories of the Milwaukee Road power occasionally being seen crossing Melrose.

My brother, neighbor and I batted around a Chicago style 16" softball right next t the tracks crossing Melrose, and would often have to fetch the ball off of a factory roof. One time I took some needle nose plyers and opened up the equipment cabinet for the crossing signals on Belmont, long after trains stopped coming around. A cop car pulled over, scared the crap out of me and my brother, told us to go home and took my plyers. In retrospect, that was appropriate. But exploring that cabinet was fun.

I live in western Massachusetts now and have a strong interest in the Central Vermont circa 1980 (similar to C&NW colors), but I am also working on Freemo modules to represent the C&E crossing Belmont and Melrose, with the siding to Reed. Right now working on a Athearn Genesis MILW MP15AC redoing the decoder and adding a ton of micro LED lighting. Looking forward also to Rapido's MILW SW1200s, of which I have ordered one.

Glad to be here and hoping to contribute.

Regards,
Ethan
Ethan

--

Modeling late 70s - 1980 era C&E line around Belmont, using Freemo modules. (And also modeling B&M / CV/ CPR circa 1980 around Brattleboro VT)

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2021, 05:12:27 PM »
Welcome!

16" softball does mark you as a Chicagoan.

This board used to be more active a few years ago but with local switching operations now vanished on Chicago's North Side there is less new material for discussions.

rschroeder1

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2021, 11:51:34 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Rob, I've been a longtime reader of this board but haven't posted until now.  I've always had a curiosity about the random train lines snaking through the city and found this site one day.  I've learned a lot here!

While I grew up in the suburbs, my grandmother lived on the far north side, and I was always a bit obsessed with the Cragin line running through Chicago and Lincolnwood (I think).  In the 90's, it was very rare to see a train on the weekends when we would be in the city, but it happened once or twice.  I recall they were always the randomest of engines and train sets, at least to my youthful mind.

I believe a forum member here has posted a lengthy video of Cragin line action, which was fascinating to watch.

As an adult, I've been a bike commuter in the city, heading from Lincoln Park/Lake View to the Illinois Medical District area.  Goose Island has always been a logical route for me, so I've watched the ebb and flow of the Chicago Terminal over the past years.  I'll never forget the day in which I biked to work with everything "normal" on the line - empty, no action.  When I came home, there were tanker cars parked all over the line.  Quite a surprise!  I was lucky to also catch the removal of the tankers at the North Ave. crossing.

I don't have pictures or anything to add, but just wanted to share my appreciation for this board as a learning tool and historical resource, especially as switching lines slowly disappear.  I'll chime in as I can moving forward!