Author Topic: a introduction and questions about 1967  (Read 3681 times)

RPSmith

• View Profile
    • http://www.archersminiatures.com
a introduction and questions about 1967
« on: November 17, 2003, 01:58:38 AM »
Hello All,
As my 1st post here, let me say I am very happy this web page exists. I have been following it for a year or so, while researching, what and where my Model Railroad was going to be.
I think a little background might be in order, so here goes. I work for the Union Pacific railroad as a carman in Portland, Oregon. In the Same yard (Albina), my Dad worked out of as a Engineer for 47 years. I knew I did not want to model anything I see on a daily basis, and for sure nothing Armor Yellow. I have very good memories of many 1st Generation Diesels and early 2nd Generation. I also did a lot of cab rides with my Pop on the industrial runs around Portland. To say I grew up with Toy and Model Trains is a understatement, I always knew someday I would build a layout, and have been looking for the right subject for years. As I am a detail nut, it has taken quite a lot of things to get to this point. My first visit to Chicago about 15 years ago, really left its mark on me, the railroad action floored me, but then again who could forget a pair of BRC Alco 424s and the many other things I saw that day (sadly, no pictures). Seeing the Milwaukee Road come into Portland after the BN Merger also stuck. There are some other things, but along came Model Railroaders 2nd story about Bill Denton\'s Kingsbury Branch, I knew I had found something special. I also have very little interest in modeling passenger railroading, I want to switch Freight Cars.
I am still very short of info, so this web site is just what is needed. Right now I am pretty sure the layout will be based in 1967, this gives me the best mix of Diesels and Freight Cars and most of the big mergers are still in the future. Now the plan is to work in HO, N is still a posibility, but a slim one. Phase 1 right of way in our  new house is in the laundry room/pantry I have 18\' x 30\" along 1 wall, then a right hand corner, to 12\' x 18\". I can and will go through walls, from the north end the other side of the wall is a 18 x 16 storage room I can expand into for Goose Island and Possably Galewood at some later date. On the south end after the bob tail swing bridge, I can loop through the wall for other possabilities. Now all this seems to fit rather well in either HO or N, but here is where I need some big help.
What was the branch like in 1967?, Local Traffic, Thru Traffic, Operations, Motive Power, when were the tracks to the Freight House south of Grand Ave taken up? The Freight House torn down? Well there are many questions, but you get the idea.
Yes there is a location a lot like this in Portland, and my Pop did switch it, after 1970, the Milwaukee Road even ran right through it, research would be much easier, but it comes down to those darn yellow Diesels.....
I would be thankful for you help and thoughts.

Ron Smith

\"Persevando\"
\"Persevando\"

tom burke

a introduction and questions about 1967
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 01:42:28 PM »
Ron:

Welcome to the discussion board, and good luck with your plans to model these Milwaukee Road operations on Chicago\'s North Side.  I model in N-scale the section on Lakewood Ave. south of Belmont.

N-scale will also give you a lot more room to work with unless you have a very large basement, given the scope of what you are attempting.  Check out the Railroad Model Craftsman series last spring on Chicago\'s movable bridges-two of the Milwaukee Road bridges are featured.  You can contact Carstens Publications for back issues.  

I suggest you contact Ted Schnepf at Rails Unlimited who reprinted a listing of all the Chicago area rail-served industries as of 1956.  The listings for the Milwaukee Road on the former North Side lines number well into the hundreds. You can order a copy at 847-697-5353.

My research indicates rail service was fairly stable until the mid to late 1970s when manufacturing left Chicago and the North Side began a slow but steady transition to retail and residential from industrial in the areas along the Milwaukee Road\'s tracks.

The bobtail bridge across the Chicago River near Kinzie St. was removed sometime soon after the 1973 discontinuation of this end of the line.  I don\'t know when the freight house was taken down, but it was gone by the 1980s for sure.  

It was all local traffic, both inbound and outbound.  The typical motive power was EMD SW900/1200 switchers in the 1960s, with an occasional GP-9.  For color pictures from this era check out the Morning Sun book \"Milwaukee Road-East End.\"

Life-like had a run of SW900/1200s in Milwaukee Road livery a few years ago in N-scale.  I have a pair.  You might be able to find them at hobby shops or eBay still.

Tom