Author Topic: "Chicago:America's Railroad Capital" Trains Special 2017  (Read 2188 times)

TBurke

• View Profile
"Chicago:America's Railroad Capital" Trains Special 2017
« on: January 25, 2017, 06:44:52 PM »
The new Trains Magazine special issue featuring Chicago just came out. I picked up my copy at a nearby Barnes & Noble.  Normally I take a pass on these publications which seemed geared to someone who is completely unfamiliar with the Chicago area but this issue is an exception.

The coverage is in-depth on the history of railroads in Chicago and the consolidation of passenger train operations over the years.  It's worth the $9.95 price for the article on the Chicago Rail Link shortline alone.  The photography and maps are excellent. 

The only criticism is that it is tilted too heavily toward passenger train operations and especially Metra and the CTA which are extensively covered in First & Fastest as well as various websites. 

Jsu

• View Profile
Re: "Chicago:America's Railroad Capital" Trains Special 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »
I saw about this from another source, thanks for the short review.

Reinhard

• View Profile
    • My photos on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 05:45:04 PM »
Thanks for the pointer. Got it online 5 minutes ago and will read it tonight.
Reinhard

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 10:13:01 PM »
Reinhard let us know what you thought.  I will be nice to get a German fan's perspective!

Reinhard

• View Profile
    • My photos on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 08:44:32 AM »
I like the book. It has a very broad scope and is very interesting to read. I need to read a several times and use it as a reference. Unfortunately are we currently moving and my little boss keeps me busy with other things....

It should be noted that the MILW industry switching operation in the mid 1980s is not a strength of the book.
Reinhard