Author Topic: Dunning Line being torn up  (Read 2453 times)

chrism

• View Profile
Dunning Line being torn up
« on: August 25, 2016, 08:33:58 PM »

TBurke

• View Profile
Re: Dunning Line being torn up
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 09:53:36 AM »
Sad news...though the truncated Dunning Line lasted much longer than I would have predicted since it had no customers for at least ten years.

For those who have not yet seen it I have "before" pictures of the Dunning Line here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39092860@N06/albums/72157657848232111

chrism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:09:44 PM »
Nice, brings back memories. Between Grand and Diversey the track is intact. I was surprised to see it getting ripped out South of Grand after Davies was torn down. More condo developments?

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 06:08:09 PM »
I wonder if it is related to the ownership of the underlying land.  When the Soo Line bought the Milwaukee Road in 1985 much of the non-railroad real estate like timber holdings out west and even the land below some of the branch lines was retained by the parent Chicago Milwaukee Corporation (CMC).  The private right of way stretches on the C&E Line north of Kingsbury were owned by CMC after the railroad operations were sold as was the West Loop land that was later developed into condos.  CMC also retained the land east of County Stadium in Milwaukee which were once railroad shops and a roundhouse.

CMC became Heartland Partners then dissolved in 2006, selling off its remaining assets.  So potentially the land under the tracks on the Dunning Line is owned by different investors which is why the tracks were pulled in one section but not the other.

CMC in its day was known for paying out large dividends but it was only a matter of time until it ran out of viable properties to sell which is why it liquidated itself. 

chrism

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 07:18:08 PM »
Update, the tracks have been torn up adjacent to the Brickyard.