Author Topic: North side layout in HO (warning--photo intensive)  (Read 19077 times)

SlowFreight

• View Profile
North side layout in HO (warning--photo intensive)
« on: April 01, 2007, 03:29:20 PM »
Since folks asked, here\'s a phew photos, just to give  you an idea.

This layout\'s a little different from other folks because I started with the space I had and designed an operating plan to match.  Soooo....some of the industries are \"out of order,\" and I\'ve rearranged reality to fit the available space.  This helps me to be happy with how the layout operates, but would offend purists.....fortunately, nobody out here in Albuquerque\'s ever been to Goose Island.  Think of it like when you buy a movie sound track and it says \"inspired by\" the movie.  The whole thing is set in about 1980-82.  I\'m working hard to get only era-appropriate rolling stock and vehicles.

The first grave sin I committed comes from being a North Western fan, not a Milwaukee fan.  I like scoots, and I like North Avenue Yard, so I\'ve taken largely Milwaukee Road industries and I switch them with the North Western.  Just like North Avenue, I have a small downtown yard off the main line that gets nightly, or triweekly, or whatever, transfer service from Proviso.  I\'m busy finishing off a pair of commuter F\'s to power this drag.  Meanwhile, I\'ve been using a pair of ATS-equipped GP35\'s.  When my ex-DMIR sand jennies arrive from Walthers, I\'ll put those back on the Sandman.  Unlike North Avenue, I only have a double-track main line on the elevated section.  This yard kinda incorporates elements of North Avenue, Avondale, Deering, and Noble St. yards.

Anyway, there\'s an old team track at one end of the yard where the local geep and caboose live, and in the mornings, this job begins by sorting the new arrivals by customer and spends the rest of the day making pulls and spots.  Industries include:

General Metals (when it used to load off C&NW behind Morton Salt (3 cars))
Big Bay Lumber (1-2 cars)
International Salt (3 cars)
Aetna Plywood (4 cars)
Wallace Business Forms (1 car)
Chicago Transparent Products (1-2 cars)
Morgan St. cold storage warehouse (1-3 cars)
Chemical plant based on one the last Weber Spur customer (1-2 cars)

I have one condo-ized building located about where Sara Lee\'s headquarters ended up, Pickens-Kane, an abandoned cement silo, something like the old Chicago Fish House, and another random \"factory\" as places that used to, but no longer receive rail service.  

Overall shot of one side, showing Cherry St., downtown yard, and beyond.

It kind of worked out that I took Cherry St. as it really is, split it in half and inserted a yard down the middle.  International is mirrored from reality, Pickens-Kane is across the street, and Big Bay is about a block to the north.  Wallace Business Forms is served from the yard instead of Kingsbury St., but that\'s because this background structure (whose color patterns come from the Sara Lee building behind International) kept looking more and more like Wallace, and I finally just had to add a spur.

Intersection reminiscent of Irving Park Rd.

International Salt

General Metals

Taking the Walthers kit for a Hitachi front-end loader and turning it into a model of a Terex that\'s half its size was moderately successful =)  When I made my research trip, General Metals trucked the shredded steel around the corner to an empty lot on the old P&G lead and loaded gondolas parked next to the curb.  So, I do the same to save space.

This is Aetna with no cars.  The place is scratchbuilt--see http://www.modeltrainsweathered.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=869 for in-progress shots.  I really liked how North Avenue always had strings of newsprint cars, so when Life Like released the exact prototype, I bought scads of \'em.  I take a little license here, and Aetna now distributes newsprint instead of plywood.  It\'s my layout, and it makes me happy.

Here\'s Wallace, minus Kingsbury St.

Morgan St. with one insulated box and one reefer.  They\'ve been dropping empty trailers in the street again, but if they keep the track clear, the city doesn\'t much care.  You can see that Aetna now does good business in newsprint...

Pickens-Kane with abandoned spur into building:

AND...the incomplete model of Big Bay that caused all my problems:

This view gives a rough idea of what I can\'t finish without more pictures.  Any help is WONDERFULLY appreciated, and suitable trades may be possible to aid in motivating folks to trek down to Cherry St.

I hope you folks enjoyed the tour.  Starting from scratch, there\'s many \"compromises\" I might not make.  But I tried to capture the flavor in the same way that Bill Denton did with is fictitious store blocks.   Plus, I have a theme, a purpose, and an operating plan that works beyond my expectations.  Back to construction...

cnwnorthline

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »
Very enjoyable!!! I especially like that one with the RTA train in the backgound.  Keep up the good working and keep posting shots.

-Matt

GM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 03:40:04 PM »
Like the way the street trackwork looks on the Big Bay shot. What did you use to get that rail in street effect? Thanks.

GM
GM

SlowFreight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 02:37:13 PM »
I posted it in http://modeltrainsweathered.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85 if you\'re interested.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 10:52:07 AM »
Wow!  Nice work, especially on the street trackage.  The whole layout has a suitably gritty look to it.

linton12

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:15:56 PM »
Very nice. You have me inspired.

Regards,

Clif Linton
Alameda, CA
Clif Linton
Alameda, CA

skytop35

• View Profile
    • http://members.aol.com/wdenton101/index.htm
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:35:22 PM »
Nicely done. The layout is coming along nicely. Thanks for sharing some photos with us and keep them coming as you progress.

Bill Denton
The Kingsbury Branch
Bill Denton
The Kingsbury Branch

Charlie S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 01:12:46 PM »
SlowFreight,

The space I have for my N. Side MILW layout (future) is about what you have there; a 6-7 ft. EL in a corner of the basement.  Fantastic job! My concept is a along-the-wall shelf as well.  Also love the \"Chicago Style\" brick curtain buldings.  Can you tell me how they were kit-bashed?  Modular pieces?  Styrene scratch-built??

Charlie

MLW North Line Fan since 1954

SlowFreight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 02:05:37 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the tour.  To me, making convincing urban buildings is one of the hardest things to do in modeling because there are so few kits that are scaled to a size appropriate for railcars.

Most of the buildings start out as Walthers Cornerstone kits.  I\'ve used (from end to end) the Bralick Building, Roberts Printing, Champion Packing, American Hardware, Medusa Cement, and Armstrong Electric Motors.  Usually, I open the box and throw away the instructions and start playing with the walls.  For things like the American Hardware building, I found that if I painted it radically differently, I could really disguise its origins.  Once I\'ve finished \"opening up\" the original kit walls, I usually use foam core to make the roofs.

Now for signature pieces like International Salt or Aetna Plywood, I\'ll scratchbuild the whole thing, scaling it to fit using photographs.  I\'ve used quite a few of the Pikestuff modular cinder block walls, but nothing else that would qualify as modular.

Charlie S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 03:36:10 PM »
Thanks SF. :)  Appreciate the origins info.  

Charlie

SlowFreight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 05:21:03 PM »
Unidentified readers reminded me it was time for some updated photos.  I posted the results over on http://www.modeltrainsweathered.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2950  

Anybody else made any progress lately?

Chooch1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »
Very nice modeling. Gotta love CNW!! Any updated pictures? I\'m not registered with modeltrainsweathered so I couldn\'t access the previous link.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 01:09:25 PM »
Have you considered using Google Earth to get views inside of Big Bay Lumber?  I use Google Earth to \"see\" the tops of buildings I model on my N-scale layout.

haggar

• View Profile
Re: North side layout in HO (warning--photo intensive)
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 11:52:34 PM »
Would love to see some more pics of the progress on the layout.  It has inspired me to start planning a layout in the same vein.

Joe