Author Topic: Chicago & Pacific/MILW/CP Rail Bloomingdale Line  (Read 11177 times)

Mark K

• View Profile
Chicago & Pacific/MILW/CP Rail Bloomingdale Line
« on: January 21, 2004, 12:11:58 AM »
The C&P line which crosses the Chicago River\'s North Branch just south of Cortland Street is also known as the Bloomingdale Line west of the C&NW Northwest Line. Per Tom Burke:  \"Tracks are still in place today but out-of-service since the diamond (CP Rail/UP-Metra) was removed where the two lines once crossed a few years ago.\"

How far west from the former diamond is the Bloomingdale Line out-of-service?

Does CP Rail now use trackage rights from Union Station over the CNW North Line to access the C&P, C&E (Lakewood), and Goose Island?

jack

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 07:48:23 PM »
Hi:  I believe that CP uses UP tracks to get at the area.  I saw on a CNW discussion group the other day that a Soo switcher was seen on UP West Line tracks a week or so ago, and it would only be there if they were going to their own tracks near Goose Island or something farther north, i think.  I also think that just about all fo the Bloomingdale line is abandoned, other discussion groups on rapid transit have noted construction of buildings on the right of way by developers up and down the line.

Jack Scoville

Josh Deth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 01:52:17 AM »
Hello-

I am involved with a group trying to convert the Bloomingdale Line into a multiuse public greenway.  The city has drawn up early plans as part of the Logan Square Open Space plan, which are available online.  I\'m always interested in any information about service on the line over the years and the history of how and when the line was built.

In terms of the present condition of the line, perhaps in tandem with the removal of the diamond, the tracks were severed just west of the interstate and a fence was erected to keep people from going underneath the underpass onto the UP tracks.  

There are still freight cars on the western portion, notably empty Metra ballast cars.  There is also a derailer on the line east of Kimball somewhere to prevent travel east.  Other than that, there\'s been lots of development but no development has actually infringed upon the right-of-way.

An old map I saw a few weeks ago at the Illinois Railway Museum indicated passenger stations at Damen, Milwaukee & Elsmere? (near Kimball).

Josh Deth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:53:58 AM »
Forgot a link to our website:

www.bloomingdaletrail.org

tom mann

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mannresearch.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 11:12:24 PM »
Josh,

It\'s great to see what your group is trying to acompolish!

We just expanded our site to include this line and currently have no photos in our archives.  Please let us know if you come across any historical info.

------------
Thomas Mann
http://www.chicagoswitching.com

Josh Deth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 04:37:30 PM »
As far as I\'ve been able to find out, the Bloomingdale Line was part of the main Milwaukee Road line into Chicago around 1873. Then once the current route southeast of Pacific Junction was built (not sure of a date), Bloomingdale was only used to serve local customers as well as those east of the river.  It was orignally at grade, but was elevated around 1915 in response to collisions with traffic.

yardie19

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 02:57:06 PM »
Hello, just sort of stumbled across this forum doing a web search, I can shed a few details about the CP\'s use of the Bloomingdale line. The line is red flagged about 500 feet east of tower A5. Gives the switch crew room to spot rock cars for Metra and switch out the cars for Newlyweds up on the C&M.  Operations on the Island are down to 2 days a week, Tuesdays & Thurdays and start out of the UP\'s ( ex CN&W ) North Ave. Yard.  The crew is cabbed down out of Bensenville.
Hope this helps.

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 03:41:47 PM »
CP Rail uses the UP\'s North Avenue yard for storing their locomotive (typically an MP-15) following the severing of the Bloomingdale Line in 2001.  CP crews are shuttled in to run the CP trains on the former Milwaukee Road lines.  

All freight cars are interchanged from the UP.

Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 07:47:25 PM »
Hello, I surfed into this forum via some research I\'m doing into the history of the Cragin neighborhood.

As there seems to be interest in the Bloomingdale Line I\'d like to share some history of it as this line figures in Cragin history.

The line was actually the main line of the Chicago & Pacific (C&P), which opened for service to Elgin in 1873.  The C&P eventually reached Savannah, Illinois.  The Milwaukee & St Paul built into Chicago in 1872, just after the fire, and came in at a diagonal, coming into town along the CN&W at Western Ave.  The M& StP became the CM&StP after making the Chicago connection.

The C&P and CM&StP lines were separate, and crossed at Pacific Junction.  The CM&StP took over the C&P in the early 1880s.

A brief corporate history of the C&P  can be found at the Wichita State Universtiy Special Collections on line finding aid  for one of their collections.

The C&P generated suburban developement all along its line, and the sucessor CMStP & P (Milwaulkee Road) apparently maintained  passenger operations over the Bloomingdale line fairly late, it seems.  

Stations appear on this 1898 West Side Elevated system map (the Humboldt Park branch was providing competition by that time).  Stations east of Pacific Junction where Elsemere, Humboldt, a station at Milwaulkee Avenue, and a station on the Kingsbury Line and on Goose Island:

Stations probably looked like the one at Bartlett, as this is the last orginal C&P era station on the line

(from the Villiage of Bartlett website)

I don\'t know when the track elevation occured, but, based on the following ariel photos it appears that the elevation may have made room for stations, as the embankment widens at the locations of at least two of the stations on the above 1898 map:

One can imagine passenger traffic was light as this area was served by the Humboldt Park branch of the L as well as streetcar lines.   At some point commuter service was re-routed at Pacific Junction  following the route Metra follows today, and Bloomingdale became freight-only.

My familiarity with this line is mostly with the Galewood Yard and related operations as I used to live three blocks from the yard.

Here is a before and after pix.  The first was from last weekend.  Not much is left, just a few yard tracks, with abandonded grain silos from the former Glidden -->Central Soya-->ADM plant (now gone).

Here is the same area in the 1940s, a Farm Service Admin pix...
.  The Galewood Yard was fairly active into the 1960s, until operations where moved to Bensenville, I guess.  

Here is a pix of a train moving pat the Cragin station onto Cragin Junction (to the BRC, I guess?) ...CP & Soo Line engines.  

There isn\'t much of a Cragin station anymore, but in the early to mid \'60s there a real station was on-site, with a waiting room, office, and station agent.  The building probably dated to the grade elevation as it was on the the north side of the tracks, while the original station (according to old maps) was on the south side.

Anyway, I hope this was of interest.  Thank you all for this great site!

Jeff

tom mann

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mannresearch.com
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 01:20:22 PM »
Jeff - thanks for the information.  I appreciate you sharing this.

------------
Thomas Mann
http://www.chicagoswitching.com

robertmroman

• View Profile
Re: Chicago & Pacific/MILW/CP Rail Bloomingdale Line
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 09:59:17 AM »
Forgotten Chicago has a new article on the Bloomingdale Line and what remains of it:

http://forgottenchicago.com/features/the-bloomingdale-line/

be well,
bob roman

beto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:26:24 PM »
and don't forget to buy the book - the Milwaukee Road in Chicago, Milwaukee Road Historical Association Special Publication No. 6 is a must purchase for any northsider that crosses the path of Bloomingdale trail or Goose Island, or the line to Wrigley Field or....

TBurke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »
And here is the direct link to purchase the book from the Milwaukee Road Historical Association.

http://www.mrha.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=135

Des Plaines Hobbies also has copies last time I checked.

robertmroman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 06:26:11 AM »
For those living in Chicago with a cable TV subscription, CAN-TV will be having a 2 hour program on Sunday, August 26, 11:30 AM, Channel 21. The brief description says:

"Terry Banich highlights the role of the Bloomingdale Line’s role in interstate commerce."

(not) much more information:

http://www.cantv.org/highlights/index.html#show5

As I don't have a TV, nevermind cable, I won't be watching. (If you're an AT&T U-verse subscriber, you may be able to find it, but AT&T consigns public access TV to obscurity.)

be well,
bob roman